The benchmark in customer service.
Northern Michigan's 'Dealer of Choice'
- Best place to buy a new car or truck – Record-Eagle Hot 100
- Best place to buy a used car or truck – Record-Eagle Hot 100
- Best place to service your vehicle – Record-Eagle Hot 100
- Best brake shop – Record-Eagle Hot 100
- Best place to buy tires – Record-Eagle Hot 100
One of Northern Michigan's largest employers
Over 270 Employees with annual payroll of over $12 million.
Annual Service Advisor & Technician Incomes
Top 1/3 earn $65,000+
Middle 1/3 earn $40,000 – $60,000
Bottom 1/3 earn $25,000 – $39,000
As a nationwide leader in the auto industry, known for being progressive and leading edge online there are many opportunities for advancement within the BMAG family:
- 8 New Vehicle Franchises
- 4 Used Vehicle Dealerships
- J.D. Byrider (Traverse City & Saginaw)
- Brake & Alignment Plus+
- Northern Michigan Line-X
- Body & Paint Center
- Used Car Tech Center
- Thrifty Car Rental
Benefits you'll love!
- Paid Vacation
- Paid Holidays
- Medical (Priority Health)
- Life Insurance (Employer Paid)
- Accident (AFLAC)
- Illness (AFLAC)
- 401(k) (Employer Matched)
- Employee referral program
- Vehicle referral program
- Reduced rates for vehicle repair
- Reduced rates for vehicle purchase
Positions within our service departments include:
- Service Manager
- Service Advisor
- Express Service Advisor
- Express Technician
- Shuttle Driver
- Appointment coordinator
- Warranty administrator
- BDC (Business Development Center) rep’s
We're in the customer service business.
Annually, Bill Marsh employees receive 1,440 hours of customer service training!
Keys to a successful Sales Career at the Bill Marsh Auto Group
- Honesty/ Integrity – Operate honestly and ethically. Earn trust and maintain confidence. Speak plainly and truthfully.
- Work ethic – Possess a strong willingness to work hard and sometimes long hours to get the job done. Develop a track record of working hard.
- High standards/ expectations – Expect personal performance to be nothing short of the best.
- Organization and planning – Plan, organize and schedule in an efficient, productive manner. Operate with a personal business plan. Focus on key priorities.
- Follow through on commitments – Live up to verbal and written agreements, regardless of personal cost. Do what you say you will do.
- Attention to detail – Be accountable for thoroughness, accuracy and attention to the many important details associated with the job.
- Persistence – Demonstrate tenacity and resolve to achieve success.
- Proactivity – Do not wait to take action. Act without being told what to do.
- Creativity/ Innovation – Generate new and innovative approaches to problems.
- Enthusiasm – Exhibit passion and excitement over work. Have a can-do attitude.
- Openness to criticism and ideas – Solicit feedback and react calmly to constructive criticism or negative feedback.
- Teamwork – Reach out to peers and cooperate with peers and supervisors to establish an overall collaborative working relationship/ environment.
- Persuasion – Able to convince others to pursue a course of action.
As part of the Bill Marsh team your success becomes our success. We’re eager to invest in your training, in your equipment, and in you. You bring skills that are valued and encouraged.
As northern Michigan’s largest automotive employer we are driven by a loyal customer base. These are customers who have come to depend on us not only the purchase of a car, but to be assured their investment is well-maintained and safe for their entire family. That customer support will keep you busy and challenged every day.
Bill Marsh will not only support you with competitive wages and full-time benefits, they help supply the tools you need to succeed.
Dealer-paid training: you’ll have access to continuing education with manufacturer-based training. We work with General Motors, Chrysler, Ford and Hyundai service advisors to make sure our technicians are up-to-speed on the latest techniques to keep the cars and trucks in top-notch condition.
Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certification: Certification and re-certification is paid for and supported by Bill Marsh.
Quality equipment: You will have access to the latest diagnostic and repair equipment available from the manufacturer. You’ll have instant access to the ever-changing software enhancements. Plus the deep pool of manufacturer experts is quickly available to you by phone or e-mail.
We want you to have a long and successful career as a Bill Marsh Auto Service Technician. Our investment in you pays dividends for you and our company.
The Evolution of Automotive Service Technicians at Bill Marsh
Today’s Automotive Technology
When most people think about a career as an auto technician, they might envision having a wrench in hand, rotating tires, changing oil and other perceived greasy tasks. While this might have been the case until a decade or so ago, service and auto repair careers have evolved significantly at Bill Marsh.
Vehicles today include sensors, computers and other advanced technology, meaning service and auto repair roles require much different skills than they did in the past. Roughly 80 percent of repairs at Bill Marsh are electrical, requiring technical troubleshooting having to do with sensors and emissions-control systems. While some traditional responsibilities like vehicle tune-ups are still conducted by service technicians, it’s important to understand the evolved role in today’s service departments.
At Bill Marsh, we are looking for employees who have the skills — or are interested in learning the skills — to diagnose and repair modern vehicles. Working as a service technician is a much more skilled job than most might think. In fact, today’s service technicians have such advanced skills that the job can be compared to a computer engineer.
Given the necessary and continuously evolving technical skills involved, a career as an automotive service technician at Bill Marsh offers job seekers with a passion for computers and technology a great opportunity — with less required education than related roles in other industries. While it might take four or six years of education to become a computer engineer, auto technician roles typically only require about two years of education, along with continued manufacturer’s training.
To succeed in in all of our service departments, we stay up to date on the latest vehicle technology and our team is provided continuous training. This can be as simple as video training to a formal downstate meeting with one of our many manufacturer partners. Other options Bill Marsh offers include interactive web-based classes, training sessions offered directly at the dealership and training offered by
third party representatives. The latest vehicles are always accessible to our service and repair teams for hands-on training to understand fully how the latest technology works.
While traditional auto repair training is part of being an auto technician at Bill Marsh — such as how to complete engine and transmission repairs — much of an auto technician’s training program also focuses on electronic and computerized systems. Even though much of this training is designed for entry-level service technicians, veteran techs are also given frequent training for specialized repairs that come with new technology. This training provides all technicians with fundamental skills and an understanding of the latest vehicle technology. All of this is so that more skilled, higher paid, technicians are set up for a successful career.
The Opportunity is Yours!
At Bill Marsh and other dealerships, we are facing a significant shortage of skilled service technicians. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates an average of 76,000 mechanics are needed each year from now until 2026 to replace those retiring or leaving the industry and to fill some 46,000 projected new openings. We have recognized this and have put measures in place to hire and train technicians who have the necessary skills to repair modern vehicles.